How To Settle A California Estate
Settling an estate as a personal representative is a complex process with several steps. It is a process that no one should attempt to do without legal advice, as you could be held personally liable for mistakes.
Attorney William S. Dunlevy in Camarillo, California, has over 40 years of experience handling administration of California estates. He will provide you with the compassionate legal counsel you need to complete the process according to your loved one’s wishes.
I Have Been Named The Personal Representative Of My Parent’s Estate. What Does That Mean For Me?
Settling an estate is a legal process that requires good record-keeping and communication. Steps you will need to take include:
- Submitting the will to the probate court for approval
- Inventorying the assets included in the estate
- Notifying creditors and paying legitimate bills
- Selling real estate and personal property
- Doing the accounting
- Paying taxes
- Distributing the proceeds to the people who are entitled to have them
- Resolving any disputes with beneficiaries and heirs
- Submitting a final accounting to the probate court and beneficiaries
To protect yourself from added costs and delays, it’s important to work with a lawyer who is familiar with California probate courts and the applicable laws.